Friday, February 16, 2007

Telling about yourself!

In the first class, we introduced our classmates based on what we told each other. The easiest part of telling about yourself was obviously telling your name, occupation, marital status, etc. However, there was another question as to by what you want to be known. I found this question quite interesting. I could not tell my classmate anything about by what I wanted to be known. This is a tough matter! What could be so interesting about me? Usually people are known by their deeds, fame, and accomplishment. I did not have any of those. Also, I thought telling that part might be a kind of bragging about yourself. Maybe I do not know about my qualities and had never thought about them. After pondering about that question while driving home to Middletown, Connecticut, I came to the conclusion that such a question is very American.

Why would I say that? Think about a meeting, party congresses, elections, and any kind of ceremonies, the speaker or the person at the center of the event starts the speech or the event by introducing himself/herself. This, of course, is very normal. After the smooth introduction, the person then continues with his or her accomplishments by listing them all, so that people know about his or her merits. I have been living in this country for more than a decade—almost two decades next year. I ought to have gotten used to this side of being American as well, but I guess this aspect will take some more time. I will hopefully introduce myself next time.

Yuksel

No comments: