Thursday, March 1, 2007

Being Evaluative!

I have not written for the blog for a few of days; I felt that something was disturbing my mind and conscience. The “threat” was pretty serious since it became bothersome because my professor has said very clearly that we have to write four times a week. Otherwise, the blog would not count toward for a better grade. Since the blog has become a part of the weekly assignment, it really does not matter whether it counts toward my grade or not; I am now used to writing for the blog somewhat regularly.

Today (March 1, 2007), I will write about being evaluative or having skills to evaluate one’s observations in the nature. Every Wednesday I attend a luncheon seminar at the Hillel House at Trinity. Volunteers prepare themselves about certain subjects in the Hebrew Bible and comment on them. For example, the exodus Hebrews from Egypt to Canaan is one of the topics. I admire the intellectual capacity of the people at the lunch table. They must have done this regularly, for they are familiar with the subject matter. They can tell what is wrong the story in the Bible and whether it was possible for Moses to go through the Red Sea without being killed in the water. I would like to stress though that I am not talking about the arguments but about the way arguments and the stories are being evaluated and eventually a conclusion is drawn.

Another evaluation mesmerizes me is the evaluation of book reviews. We happen to write review of book reviews for Dr. Chelton’s class. It is marvelous to see how some book reviewers interweave the contents of the books with their thoughts and put into a short paragraph. It is noticeable the reviewer has a great deal of vocabulary so that s/he can use while writing a book review. In addition, it is interesting that the reviewers can use one sentence to describe a whole drama or go beyond things to characterize things that the reader cannot think of.

Thinking about nature and life, I think an evaluative observant has a grip of life due to his or her skills that the parents have taught while the person was a little child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing